Friday, November 25, 2011


A Life Long Hockey Player

By Mikaela Meyerink


I still remember getting dressed to go on the ice for the first time. I was finally going to be a hockey player, little did I know I would fall in love with the game. Some people call it crazy, some people say it's just a game, but hockey has been my life. It has taught me so much more than just how to skate, shoot or to remember: always to take your skate guards off before stepping on the ice. Hockey has taught me how to be a team member both on and off the ice. Hockey has taught me to be confident in who I am and most of all to never give up. One of my favourite quotes, "shoot for the moon even if you miss you will land among the stars'' (Brian Litrell).

I played the majority of minor hockey with a co-ed association, Sunshine Coast Minor Hockey. I enjoyed playing with the boys because it always provided a challange, in which I could push myself. Although as the boys became men, I realized I was missing out on the whole team aspect of things. I struggled with relating to the guys which made it difficult to enjoy the game. For my second year Bantam I tried out for an all girls "AAA" rep team with the North Shore Female Avalanche.

I had the best season of my life. It was my first experience of truly being a part of the team, we went all the way to the B.C provincials, coming home with silver. I met some amazing friends in hockey but was still faced with, the love of my life, hockey, coming to an end.

In preparing for this, I'd begun planning life after high school. I came in contact with a missions based hockey organization, that does a three month training phase followed by a two month outreach phase in Russia where you play against men's teams and teach young kids the game.

I applied and was accepted. I came then to the realization that "if you shoot for the moon you will land among the stars". Even though hockey had not gone according to my plan for a scholarship, it had defined who I am. It is so much more than making that next team or getting that top shelf goal. Hockey is about life lessons.

I am heading to Russia to teach kids and give back to the game I view as a gift and a blessing to play. I am now playing with some of the most skilled players I have ever played with. I am on the most unified team I have ever played on. Our team lives in housing together, we train together, we go to class together and support each other always on and off the ice. In two weeks we will fly over to Russia and spread love through the game.


Photo: Mikaela at the rink after her Grade 12 graduation with tea mates Samantha Rogers (left) and Breana Keats (right)

Article as seen in BC Female Hockey News


2 comments:

Rob Suderman said...

Great story - all the best as you prepare for Russia. Your team will be in our daily prayers!! Rob & Hedy Suderman

YWAM Hockey said...

Thanks Rob and Hedy! And by the way, we LOVE having your son on our staff team!
Bless you!
Glen and Lorrain